Sunday, August 24, 2008

Why artificially challenged?

This discussion I had the other day ... about the challenges we still face to make machines at par with human intelligence.
It all started with an article on how robot evolution was mirroring the evolution of human life. How scientists have started to consider the fact that no human task will be impossible for robots in the future. The discussion went on the lines of how we are also sophisticated machines who have 'evolved' into our present forms. Maybe the reason why we have not yet been able to come up with the 'I,Robot' class of machines is that we are still artificially challenged in some sort of way. Something that machines are more adept at.
The idea that a machine can learn to identify why it failed at something is what fascinates me. In my perspective, a machine which can understand itself better would nurture even better machines.
I take example from human beings themselves. We evolved from within. Our systems learned what they lacked to be able to survive. Our biological systems were self learning and this is where the future of robot evolution lies. A future where robot systems identify the features they lack that they require to accomplish a task or to put it more discretely, to survive.

Another reason to name my blog so is maybe because I find myself incapable of being artificial or in other words I think I am 'artificially challenged' :)

No comments: